Chronicles Of Me

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Mr. David Tan
Ex-director of shell.

WHAT A MAN
such humility.
such humanity.
such knowledge.

Today we went for high tea with my dad's ex boss.
We visit him every year during the festives. So what's so special? Why does my dad visit someone every year without fail. What does my dad owe to this man? Well i found that out today.

What a rolemodel. My dad revealed to me that he was my his mentor and he was one of the biggest reason my dad is who he is now. It was David that took my father under his wing straight after graduation. My dad also said that what David taught my dad was secondary to how he treated my dad during his 15 year stint at Shell. My dad calls him a friend instead of boss.

I know i've visited this guy before but i've not really sat down with him to see this for myself. So this time i took the opportunity to really open my eyes and ears.

WHAT A MAN. At first sight you would not think that this was the regional boss of Shell , one of the most competitive oil companies in the world. Pint sized and always with a warm smile. He even remembers that i am the oldest of my brothers and all of our names! Some relatives dont even know i have a fourth brother! You know someone is special when he makes it a point to remember names.

He's so well read too. Always up to date and inquisitive. He even knew the thomas trains on my baby brother's shirt! He has a grandson who is also a thomas the train fanatic.

Unfortunately he is under going some treatment for his prostrate cancer. Still, he doesn't let that dampen his spirit or those around him always manage to crack jokes about himself and diapers. Such good eq skills.

When he talks to you he is so focused on you and vise versa when you talk to him. I am just a 19 year old kid talking to a man who used to make billion dollar decisions. And he gives me so much respect as a man, all with his eyes! I don't even feel intimidated by him.

I let him know i was interested in trading and stuff and he took his time to talk to me about, giving me tips on what to do if i am interested. Actually he just gave me one tip, learn from my dad. HAHA But what i really enjoyed was when he was advising me on where to study. It was like he totally understands me. Amazing.

Thank you Mr. Tan for the great 2 hour tea session. You have changed my life believe it or not.
It is not a wonder why my dad visits him every year without fail.
I can say i have sat down with one of the greatest men i have ever met so far.
-
-
-
-
I think i like this. I think i will do it. I need to read more.

1 Comments:

At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.blissfullyimmune.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home